The Department for Transport's Pedestrian Safety Performance: Concerns
Concerns include the following.
- Poor reporting of road casualties e.g. overemphasis on the total (all modes) casualties
- Little mention of the high UK pedestrian casualties relative to other western european countries
- No discussion of obesity and other health effects from inactivity
- No statistics collected on falls on pavements e.g. due to uneven surface or ice
- Little interest in promoting pedestrian safety as a response to climate change
- No stated ambition for reducing pedestrian casualties
- No comparison of road safety policies of the UK with other western european countries.
- Inadequate funding for pedestrian safety
- Confusion over the law on pavement parking caused by the change in the text in the 2007 Highway Code